Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing and Healing
Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (E M D R)
- Helps in a wide variety of mental health disorders including depression, anxiety, traumatic grief, post-traumatic stress disorder (P T S D), and healing from difficult life events
- Works more quickly, deeper, and more effectively than traditional talk therapy
- Utilizes bilateral stimulation (alternating sides) through eye movement, audio or tactile
- Releases trauma from the brain
- Releases trauma and stress from your body
How does Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (E M D R) help me to heal?
EMDR is based on the knowledge of our brains and our bodies:
- TRAUMA GETS STORED IN OUR BODIES AND BRAINS AND CHANGES US
- LEFT SIDE OF BRAIN IS LOGICAL MIND: cognitive and verbal function, analytical reasoning
- RIGHT SIDE OF BRAIN IS EMOTION: also governs body functioning: breathing, heart rate, fight or flight, memory pictures
I often give my clients a positive memory of mine as an example of how our right brain can access stored picture memories, emotion, and body sensations. Sometimes when I go to a diner, they have meatloaf on the menu and the smell can take me back to Thursday nights as a kid around the kitchen table when we sat down to a meatloaf dinner. The right hemisphere of my brain is accessed and I can see the picture in my head of the family kitchen as well as feel some positive emotions. I may feel hungry because of the recall. My mother made great meatloaf!
A traumatic event may be recalled in the same manner through activation of stored picture and/or body memories. Talk psychotherapy does not access the right side of the brain in a manner that allows processing of the memory. It accesses the left side of the brain through verbal telling of the trauma, but it does not go deep enough to access the right side to process the emotions and body memories that accompany trauma. This is why you may have had the experience of talking about a difficult life event, but not getting any permanent relief from the telling.
EMDR creates a connection between your left and right brain as you process the trauma or difficult life event by utilizing the bilateral stimulation talked of above. The emotions, body memories, and other symptoms become processed and the emotional charge is deactivated or lessened.
I specialize in using this therapy to help individuals and couples process difficult life events that have become stuck. Many of my clients report relief, even after years of traditional talk therapy.
Really, it’s rather hard to explain. If you have any questions, please send me an email to see if you would be a good fit for this treatment.
I am happy to offer a 15 minute free mini-session on the healing powers of EMDR.
Call 508-617-0070 and get your questions answered now.